By Diederik Aerts
This quantity is a part of the "Worldviews, technological know-how and Us" sequence of complaints and comprises a number of contributions near to worlds, cultures and society. It represents the court cases of numerous workshops and dialogue panels geared up by way of the Leo Apostel middle for Interdisciplinary reviews in the framework of the "Research at the building of Integrating Worldviews" learn group arrange through the Flanders Fund for clinical study, over the time period among 2005 to 2010.
Read Online or Download Worldviews, Science and Us: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Worlds, Cultures and Society, Proceedings of the Workshop on Worlds, Cultures and Society PDF
Similar anthropology books
What brought the ape out of the bushes, and so the guy out of the ape, used to be a flavor for blood. this is often how the tale went, while a couple of fossils present in Africa within the Twenties appeared to aspect to searching because the first human task between our simian forebears-the strength in the back of our upright posture, ability with instruments, household preparations, and warlike methods.
Sasaks, a humans of the Indonesian archipelago, do something about one of many country's worst well-being files by means of utilizing quite a few clinical traditions, together with their very own mystery ethnomedical wisdom. yet anxiousness, within the presence and shortage of sickness, profoundly shapes the methods Sasaks use therapeutic and information.
With the surprising histories of 10 well-known instances, this vintage blends technology, superstition, and fiction to inform the entire tale of the werewolves between us. the 1st severe educational examine of lycanthropy and "blood-lust" written in English, this e-book attracts upon an enormous physique of statement, delusion, and lore.
This quantity is a part of the "Worldviews, technology and Us" sequence of complaints and includes numerous contributions almost about worlds, cultures and society. It represents the complaints of a number of workshops and dialogue panels geared up by way of the Leo Apostel middle for Interdisciplinary stories in the framework of the "Research at the building of Integrating Worldviews" study neighborhood arrange through the Flanders Fund for clinical learn, over the time period among 2005 to 2010.
- Realizing Community: Concepts, Social Relationships and Sentiments (European Association of Social Anthropologists)
- A Place in History: Social and Monumental Time in a Cretan Town (Princeton Studies in Culture, Power, History)
- Models and Mirrors: Towards an Anthropology of Public Events
- History from Below: The 'Vocabulary of Elisabethville' by André Yav: Text, Translations and Interpretive Essay (Creole Language Library, Volume 7)
- Consumption, Food and Taste: Culinary Antinomies and Commodity Culture
- Explorations in the anthropology of religion: Essays in Honour of Jan van Baal
Additional info for Worldviews, Science and Us: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Worlds, Cultures and Society, Proceedings of the Workshop on Worlds, Cultures and Society
C. Tourmey, Intelligent Design for Anthropologists. Anthropology News 46 (9), 5 (2005). 17. J. Petto, Nature and Design. Anthropology News 46 (9), 4 (2005). 18. E. Said, Culture and imperialism. New York: Basic Books (1990). 19. J. Fabian, Time and the Other. New York: Columbia University Press (1984). 20. M. Owusu, The Usefullness of the Useless: Ethnography of Africa. American Anthropologist 80, 310–334 (1978). 21. C. Geertz, Available Light: Anthropological Reflections on Philosophical Topics.
28. 29. 30. the mother’s brother controversy reconsidered. Current Anthropology 43 (5), 723–748 (2002). T. Deacon, The Symbolic Species: the co-evolution of language and the human brain. New York: Norton (1997). C. L´evi-Strauss, Les Structures El´ementaires de la Parent´e. Paris: PUF (1949). K. Stroeken, Stalking the stalker: a Chwezi initiation into spirit possession and experiential structure. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 12 (4), 785–802 (2006). N. Luhmann, Ecological Communication.
Journal of Consciousness Studies 12 (11), 43–58 (2005). 32. B. Greene, The Fabric of the Cosmos. New York: Penguin (2005). 33. V. Descombes, The Mind’s Provisions: A Critique of Cognitivism. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press (2001). 34. J. Schwartz, The Mind & The Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force. New York: HarperCollins (2002). 35. J. Gray, Consciousness: Creeping Up on the Hard Problem. Oxford: Oxford University Press (2004). 36. A. Noe, Action in Perception. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (2005).