By James Randi
During this extraordinary encyclopedia, James Randi casts his cynical eye at the doubtful genes of the occult and the supernatural. With 666 entries and enormous quantities of illustrations all through, this publication examines the shady international of manipulators, occultists, and shamanists in microscopic element. issues comprise Jeane Dixon's lengthy string of failed predictions, the frilly hoax surrounding the secret of the Abominable Snowman, and lots more and plenty extra.
Read Online or Download An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural PDF
Similar science books
What conceptual blind spot saved the traditional Greeks (unlike the Indians and Maya) from constructing an idea of 0? Why did St. Augustine equate nothingness with the satan? What tortuous skill did 17th-century scientists hire of their makes an attempt to create a vacuum? And why do modern quantum physicists think that the void is basically seething with subatomic task?
This booklet info the tales of Challenger’s missions from the issues of view of the astronauts, engineers, and scientists who flew and knew her and the managers, technicians, and floor body of workers who designed her and nursed her from humble beginnings as a structural try article into essentially the most able Shuttles in NASA’s carrier.
This ebook constitutes the completely refereed post-conference court cases of the 4th foreign convention on Intelligence technological know-how and large information Engineering, IScIDE 2013, held in Beijing, China, in July/August 2013. The 111 papers offered have been rigorously peer-reviewed and chosen from 390 submissions.
- Wide Bandgap Semiconductors: Growth, Processing and Applications (Materials Science and Process Technology Series)
- To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science
- Integral Methods in Science and Engineering
- Stoichiometry and Materials Science - When Numbers Matter
- The Remedy: Robert Koch, Arthur Conan Doyle, and the Quest to Cure Tuberculosis
Extra resources for An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
W. Cooper, Phys. Rev. 165, 126 (1968). 13. H. A. Bethe and E. E. Salpeter, Quantum Mechanics of One- and Two-Electron Atoms, in Handbuch der Physik (S. ) Vol. 35, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1957), sec. 59, 69. 14. U. Fano and J. W. Cooper, Rev. Mod. Phys. 40,441 (1968). 15. J. Cooper and R. N. Zare, I. Chern. Phys. 48, 942 (1968); in Lectures in Theoretical Physics, Atomic Collision Processes (S. Geltman, K. Mahanthappa, and W. Brittlin, eds), Gordon and Breach, New York (1969). 16. S. T. Manson, Adv.
2. Since this intermediate state is, in fact, a continuum level, it is more rigorous to describe the enhancement as purely an interchannel coupling effect caused by the induced dipole field at the 4d -+ 4, ef threshold and is probably due to a final state involving a 4d and a 5p hole, according to the excitation (14) PHOTOEMISSION CROSS SECTIONS 33 PHOTOELECTRON ENERGY ('V) 50r-~--;3~_r--~~r-~--~2r8--r-~--~ - RPAE (AMUSIA) ... V) PHOTOELECTRON ENERGY (tV) 5. '0'T5=--,___r__, Mb FIGURE 29. 4d (top) and 5p (bottom) partial cross sections of Ba compared to RPAE and GRPAE calculations.
W. Lindle, T. A. Ferrett, P. A. Heimann, and D. A. Shirley, Phys. Rev. A37, 3808 (1988). 67. Z. Altum, M. Kutzner, and H. P. Kelly, Phys. Rev. A37,4671 (1988). 68. T. A. Carlson, M. O. Krause, A. Fahlman, P. R. Keller, J. W. Taylor, T. A. Whitley, and F. A. Grimm, I. Chem. Phys. 79, 2157 (1983). 69. T. A. Carlson, M. O. Krause, W. A. Svensson, P. Gerard, F. A. Grimm, T. A. Whitley, and B. P. Pullen, Z. Phys. D2, 309 (1986) and references therein. 2 Surface and Core Excitons F. C. Brown 1. INTRODUCTION The exciton, or coupled conduction-band electron and valence-band hole, has long played an important role in theories of the optical properties of semiconductors and insulators.